For immediate release
Tuesday June 16th 2020
Black Travel Alliance Launches #PullUpForTravel Campaign
Black Travel Alliance, a newly formed group of Black Travel Content Creators, calls destination management organizations and travel brands to take #BlackOutTuesday support beyond social media and work toward meaningful representation of Black voices in the travel industry.
According to a 2018 report from Mandala Research, Black Americans alone spend $63 billion on travel each year, yet, there is little to no Black representation in the management and staff of larger travel companies. Similarly, there is a major lack in Black representation on press trips and in marketing campaigns, even from cities and countries that attract or constitute a large number of Black people.
The Black Travel Alliance is launching the Black Travel Scorecard to evaluate destinations management organizations and travel brands on not just what they say, but also what they do. The alliance is collecting KPIs in these five major areas:
- Employment – Current number and percentage of Black people in management and on staff
- Conferences & Tradeshows – Black representation (number and percentage) on speaker panels, workshops, sessions, etc. in 2019
- Paid Advertising/Marketing Campaigns – Black representation (number and percentage) in TV, radio, print and digital channels including social media in 2019
- Press – Black representation (number and percentage) on media/press trips in 2019
- Philanthropy – Charitable contributions and support (i.e. mentorship and intern programs, etc.) to Black charities and community groups
The Black Travel Alliance calls on destination management organizations and travel brands to communicate their metrics publicly in these five key areas by Friday, June 19th, with hashtag #PullUpForTravel on social media. More than a mere black square on social media, the alliance believes this data will demonstrate true allyship, and that these areas are key towards ending the systemic lack of diversity in the travel industry.
The Black Travel Alliance was launched in the wake of social unrest from George Floyd’s publicized murder—and pronouncements of “Black Lives Matter” support by travel brands and companies.
“Black Travel Alliance was heartened to see that many destinations and travel brands showed support during #BlackOutTuesday. However, dismantling systemic racism requires more than social media activism,” says Jeff Jenkins, an award-winning content creator and founding member of the alliance. “Destination management organizations and travel brands need to truly become more inclusive in their hiring practices and marketing campaigns.”
For more information
Media Contact: Martina Jones Johnson
Instagram: @TheBlackTravelAlliance + Twitter: TheBlackTravelA
Hashtags: #PullUpForTravel | #PullUpOrShutUp| #BlackTravelAlliance
Notes to Editor
The hashtag #PullUpForTravel is a variant of #PullUpOrShutUp launched by Sharon Chuter in response to #BlackOutTuesday. That campaign called on beauty companies to provide insight into the number of Black executives and staff at their companies. Our campaign seeks to uncover Black employment figures for destination management organizations and travel brands, along with data for the other four areas outlined in the Black Travel Scorecard.
Friday, June 19th is symbolic as it will be Juneteenth which celebrates the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that Union soldiers landed in Galveston, Texas with news that the American Civil War and slavery had come to an end.
About Black Travel Alliance
Black Travel Alliance is a new group of Black Travel Content Creators from across the globe. Our three pillars of the community are alliance, amplification, and accountability. As travel authors, bloggers, broadcasters, journalists, photographers, podcasters, social media influencers, and vloggers, we unify to amplify. We also aim to provide training and business support to our members, as well as hold destinations and travel brands accountable on the issue of diversity in travel marketing and storytelling.
- Ursula Petula Barzey, Digital Content Creator, Caribbean & Co.
- Gabby Beckford, Gen Z Travel Expert, PacksLight.com
- Donna-Kay Delahaye, Travel Blogger | Photographer | Digital Content Creator, Huesofdelahaye.com
- Rashida Dowe, Career Break Coach | Content Creator, Shidasontheloose.com
- Lauren Gay, Travel Blogger | Podcaster | Photographer, Misadventures of an Outdoorsy Diva Blog & Outdoorsy Diva Podcast
- Monet Hambrick, Family Travel Expert | Author at TheTravelingChild.co
- Tomiko Harvey, Digital Marketer, Passportsandgrub.com
- Colby Holiday, Travel Blogger | Content Creator, World of a Wanderer
- Jeff Jenkins, Content Creator | Social Media Specialist, ChubbyDiaries.com
- Travis Levius, Travel Writer/Editor | Content Creator | Consultant
- Leslie and Martina Johnson, Content Creators, ThatCoupleWhoTravels.com
- Martinique Lewis, Diversity in Travel Consultant, Martysandiego.com
- Kerwin McKenzie, Author | Content Creator | Speaker, Passrider.com
- Dr. Nadeen White, Travel Blogger | Content Creator | Author | Speaker, The Sophisticated Life
- Kelley Woods, Content Creator | Travel Advisor, Traveling With Cute Luggage
- Davida Wulff-Vanderpuije, Content Creator | Audio Storyteller, Wonders of Wanders
- Xavier, Travel Entrepreneur | Content Creator, BlackVoyageurs.com
Find more information about launch team members at: https://www.blacktravelalliance.com/launch-team/.